HOT & SOUR SOUP
INGREDIENTS
8 shiitake mushrooms (about ½ cup or so..)
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/3 cup diced bamboo shoots (I just put in a can of them)
1/3 cup lean shredded pork or chicken (optional. I most often do not put it in)
3 Tbsp soy sauce (I usually just put in to taste)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar (I put in less.. or none)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons rice vinegar (I use regular vinegar often)
2 tablespoons vinegar based hot sauce (like Frank’s) – adjust to taste. I put in a LOT. Like, half a bottle. LOL
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
1/2 (16 ounce) package firm tofu, cubed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon sesame oil (or to taste)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
DIRECTIONS
1. After trimming off any tough stems, slice the mushrooms.
2. Place the mushrooms, stock, bamboo shoots, and shredded meat into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in soy sauce, sugar, salt, white pepper, hot sauce and vinegar. Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water. Add a little of the hot soup to the cornstarch, and then return all to the pan. 4. Heat to boiling, stirring. Add the tofu, and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Just before serving, turn off the heat. Stir the egg in gradually. Mix in sesame oil. Sprinkle each serving with green onion (actually, I just put the onion into the soup....).

No comments:
Post a Comment